Thursday, June 30, 2016

Wasatch Plein Air Paradise 2016

11" x 14" Oil on Panel
It's time for Midway's yearly plein air painting competition. I just turned in my entries for the main competition. The four pictures in this post are of the paintings I did last Saturday, Tuesday, Monday and Wednesday, respectively. The first three are the ones I put into the show. You can find out more about "Wasatch Plein Air Paradise" here

11" x 14" Oil on Panel
Sometimes, upon hearing that I'm an outdoor landscape painter, people will comment that it must be a relaxing thing to do. Well, here I am after a few days of painting, tired, sunburned, sweaty, bug bitten, and recovering from back spasms. "Relaxing" might be how the paintings look - and that's good - but it's not likely how they were painted.

9" x 12" Oil on Panel
"Relaxing" isn't the word for it. Sometimes it's not exactly fun, either. But it seems to me there's nothing better than to be outdoors, interacting with the landscape as I paint it, and hoping others might somehow benefit from the experience, too.

9" x 12" Oil on Panel
It's always satisfying to see my paintings framed and hung in galleries, or in shows like WPAP. It's fun to see what wonderful paintings other painters have put into the show, too. The show opens this evening in Midway at 7:00 PM and is free to the public. The show runs through the afternoon of July 4th, but paintings leave as they're sold so it's better to come early rather than late. That way you won't miss anything. There will be paint outs on Friday and Saturday, and a quick paint auction on Monday. I might be able to get one more painting into the show Saturday, depending on my schedule. Hope to see you there!

No comments: