Saturday, January 7, 2012

Young Thai Girl

charcoal pencil on paper
This is another sketch from one of the drawing sessions I've attended over the years. It's a simple sketch done with charcoal pencil in a 9" x 12" sketchbook. Sometimes I'll work on toned paper with charcoal and white, using the toned paper for a middle tone. Sometimes I'll use a large set of pastels and pastel pencils, often on paper that has a sandpaper like texture to take and hold pastel pigment firmly. On a few occasions I've brought along a pochade box for a portrait sketch in oils. But sometimes a simple sketchbook, charcoal, and kneaded eraser is everything necessary for a productive drawing session. Any one of these mediums would have worked well for portraying this exceptional model, but a simple sketch in an ordinary sketchbook seemed the thing for me to do that evening.

For more about drawing sessions, go to "Labels" on the side bar and click on "sketching" or "drawing."

No comments: