Thursday, May 11, 2017

A Couple Portraits From Early May

8" x 6" Oil on Panel
It's been a little while since I've done any portrait sketches from life. The first image in this post shows the portrait I did last Thursday at Casey Childs studio. Colors used were yellow ochre, cadmium red purple, ivory black, and titanium white. That is, all except for the necklace pendant. There was no way I could get the color of that pendant with a Zorn(ish) palette. After trying once or twice to change it into something else, I gave in and squeezed a dab of Holbein's "permanent green" (a hue which contains phthalo green) onto my palette, using that color for the necklace pendant only.

8" x 6" Oil on Panel
The second image shows the portrait I painted the day before at Howard Lyon's studio. That day I was in the mood to paint the shadow side of the subject with only a little rim lighting visible. Colors used were yellow ochre, cadmium red, ivory black, and titanium white.

For more about portrait sessions, go to "Labels" on the side bar and click on "portrait", "sketching" or "drawing.

No comments: