Thursday, May 5, 2016

Grey and Bronze

9" x 12" Pastel on Toned Textured Paper
The model that was supposed to sit for the live portrait session at Howard Lyon's studio yesterday canceled at the last minute, so Howard got one of his kids to sit for us. I was a half hour late for the session, so decided to use a medium that was less complicated and more familiar to me than oil paint. This portrait began as a charcoal drawing, but somehow my fingers found their way into the pastels in my sketch box, and it changed into a color drawing.

The young man who sat for us recognized me. Turns out I had sketched him before, nearly a year ago, at Casey Childs' studio. That session I had used charcoal in a sketchbook. The sketch from then can be seen here.

For more about drawing sessions, go to "Labels" on the side bar and click on "sketching" or "drawing."

No comments: