Friday, April 10, 2015

Graphite Pencil Sketches

12" x 9" Graphite Pencil on Paper
Normally charcoal is my medium of choice when making monochromatic sketches from live models. This week, however, a graphite pencil in my sketch box seemed to be demanding my attention. Graphite is an interesting medium. Dry, yet slippery; dark, yet reflective - graphite's darks are not as deep as charcoal's, but it's silvery smoothness brings certain qualities to sketching and drawing that other mediums don't naturally bring.

12" x 9" Graphite Pencil on Paper
There's another reason for hopping from one medium to another. The techniques are different (at least how I use them). With charcoal I work from a middle tone to build both dark and light tones. Graphite pencil works are - for me - strictly light to dark. I start with white paper and build up darks bit by bit. After using one technique for so long, I risk taking certain methods for granted and losing focus. Having to build a drawing using a different method helps me to refocus on the structure of the drawing.

Besides, graphite drawings are cool.

For more about drawing sessions, go to "Labels" on the side bar and click on "sketching" or "drawing."

No comments: