Monday, December 29, 2014

My New Bag

The Old Bag
...or "What to do with an Old Bag."

This is an update of a post I did a few years ago which has been a very popular post on this blog. When I first wrote about this bag it was used to carry either a 6 x 8 or 8 x 10 pochade box into the field. Earlier this year I built a couple 9 x 12 pochade boxes. Those boxes didn't fit in the old leather bag very well, so I made a new leather bag. Here's a picture of it:

The New Bag
This bag is used to carry a 9 x 12 or 8 x 10 pochade box. A separate bag is used to carry the rest of the painting gear, as described in the older post mentioned before. A tripod to mount the box on is carried separately.

So, what to do with the old bag? As it turns out, the old leather bag is perfect for carrying not only a 5 x 7 pochade box, but also all the painting gear that goes with the little 5 x 7 pochade box. (Except the tripod, which is still carried separately.) A separate bag isn't needed.

New Use for an Old Bag
Here's what is now carried in the older bag:



  1. The 5 x 7 pochade box.
  2. Apron
  3. Case containing other painting gear.
The little grey case was a close-out item I found in a store. It largely (no pun intended) takes the place of the separate leather bag carried with the bigger pochade boxes. Here's what the case contains:


And here is what those items are:



  1. Several folded paper towels for paint clean-up.
  2. Can of odorless mineral spirits.
  3. Plastic bags for used paper towels. I always carry extra.
  4. Small jar used as a brush washer, in a metal cup that clips onto the wooden palette.
  5. Brush washing soap, if ever I need to wash brushes before arriving home.
This outfit is small, light, and so easy to carry even on long hikes in the mountains. The brush washer and soap are stored in little plastic bags to contain any leaks that might happen. Undoubtedly there will be adjustments made to this gear from time to time as needed. For instance, I no longer carry any sort of mediums when I go painting. If I need to thin paint I use odorless mineral spirits - and (except for initially toning the panel) that is rarely and only in tiny amounts.

I hope you've found this post informative, and thanks for visiting my blog!

No comments: