Sunday, May 27, 2012

Some Paintings from May

8" x 10" Oil on Panel
It's late May and the valley trees are beginning to reach their sumer fullness. All that green can cause problems for landscape painters. Call us particular but It's preferable our paintings don't look like they could be titled, "Green #1", "Green #2", "Green #3", etc. Not only is it a challenge to find variety in green but it can be fun, too! It's also easier when the backdrop in every painting is the Wasatch Mountains!

The painting above was painted at a marsh by the lake, looking back toward Rock Canyon. I set up my pochade box at the end of a paved bike path. It's a natural place for people to pause while turning around to head back the way they came. It's also easy then for them to take a look at what I'm doing and visit briefly. I enjoy talking with people as I paint, as long as it doesn't take too much time. I gotta work.

8" x 10" Oil on Panel
The second painting was done on a hazy, partly-to-mostly-cloudy day. I was set up in a parking lot for the bike trail that parallels the river. It was another place for people to see me as they pass. I get to hand out a lot of business cards that way. The cloud cover thickened into a solid overcast and began to threaten rain so after finishing this painting I packed up and headed home. A little later the weather improved so I headed back to the same place. There for the second painting of the day I painted a tree that was just to the right of the one I did earlier.

10" x 8" Oil on Panel
The last painting was done three days later in another part of the valley. It was painted in a spread-out rural area away from local towns and cities. I've painted here before, but have rarely been visited by anyone as I work.

9" x 12" Oil on Canvas Panel
You, however, are welcome to visit this blog for as long as you like and as often as you like! And if you see me out painting someday feel free to stop and say hi!

Photo Courtesy of Scott Froerer

No comments: